Friday 6 August 2021

Learning to be an Artist

 This week in Autahi we had an idea of a sketching activity that would help us practise our sketching and observation skills while having a bit of fun. 

Little did I know that I'd be taking the learning home with me...

To paint the whole picture the activity was to sketch your own face on a folded piece of paper and the to flip it over and have a friend sketch you. The objective was twofold, first how you see yourself and secondly how a friend sees you. This shows your interpretation as an artist and your friends interpretation. 

All artists have their own style and skills and through this we see that every artist is different. 

So to demonstrate this point I had to create an image to share as an example. I love to draw myself so there were no problems there for me. But I needed a willing subject to sketch me back. So I took my paper and sketching pencil home and asked my partner if she would sketch me. 

After much giggling, discussion over the size of my ears and complaints that I didn't tell her we could use shading, we finally had an example to share with Autahi. I realised that I had never really seen her draw a picture before (Unfortunately she has seen many pictures that I have drawn). But it was a great experience in getting to see each other as artists.

So here is what went on in Autahi as we took up the challenge to sketch each other and learn to see ourselves as artists.






No comments:

Post a Comment