Build a water cycle in a bottleHave you ever wondered what happens to the water that falls out of the sky as rain? After it has been raining, the ground and everything else outdoors is wet. But it doesn't stay wet for long. So where does the water go?
Here's an easy experiment to get you thinking about this question.
You will need:
- a transparent bottle with a lid (a jam jar works, too)
- a jug of water
- a pen (we used a Sharpie)
- blue food colouring, if you have it.
Finally, screw on the lid tightly and place the bottle in a sunny place, such as a window sill.
Keep an eye on your bottle through the day.
- What can you see towards the top of your bottle?
- Why is this happening?
- What can this tell us about how rain works?
- What other ideas and wonderings do you have about this experiment?